THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Saturday, September 13, 2008

I haven't had a chance to blog recently! Been very tired. But it's a good tired; the kind of tired that makes you appreciate everything. My new job is going very very well. I love the children in my care and the parents are wonderful. I always tell myself not to get attached to the children I care for, but how can I not? Looking in the eyes of a two-month old, hearing an 18-month old trying to pronounce my name. It goes straight into my heart.
You work and you talk to the same people everyday, but when you leave it's that whole "out of sight out of mind". I tried real hard to keep in contact with the last set of families I left, but I don't feel I made the expression on them as their children did on me. You know, just another person in and out of their lives. I can't deny that that didn't hurt a lot. That's where not wanting to get too attached comes in. I don't want to be just another "care giver" for children. I want to make an impact on their lives. I want them to go on to the next level bringing what I helped them to learn with them.

2 comments:

Lys said...

C'mon - you know with as good as a teacher you are, you are making an impression. You might not see it now but you WILL see it. Those kids will one day come and thank you - you just never know. The fact that you care about your students and children in your care speaks volumes. You are more than a teacher or a "babysitter" as you pointed out in a previous post - you are someone they trust with their most precious thing, their children. That, Nyk, speaks volumes.

Congrats on the new gig!

Katharine Wolfgramm Wilson said...

Hi Nikki,

You seem like a natural with children...I agree with Lys..one day they will come back to you and be grateful that you were in their lives....thanks for your comment on my blog...I don't know you to well,but through here I'm glad to get to know you better...take care!
Kat